:: Ingredients ::
2 Medium Eggplant
2 Large Tomatoes
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Large Bell Pepper, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
:: Directions ::
- Preheat broiler
- Halve eggplants lengthwise and score flesh of each 1/2" deep in a crosshatch pattern to make approx. 1" squares (do not cut through skin)
- Arrange eggplant, cut side up, and tomatoes on baking sheet with sides. Broil, turning once, until eggplant is very soft and skin of both vegetables is charred, 20-25 mins.
- Let cool slightly. Remove and discard skin of eggplant and tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add onion, pepper, and garlic, stirring occasionally. Cook until onion is pale golden and remove from heat, 15-20 mins.
- Transfer onion mixture to food processor, add eggplant, tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and pepper. Pulse until coarsely pureed.
- Let cool to room temp, then refrigerate, covered, for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with crackers or baguette slices.